This latest DIY I’m sharing, is of our living room ottoman. This pic is the after! I am so in love with it!
I had created this ottoman quite a few years ago from a small table. We had cut the legs down to coffee table height and added some pretty spindles to make the legs more interesting to look at. After gluing a piece of foam down, and stapling thin batting on top of that, we had the base of the ottoman. An old table cloth was stapled over everything. This was our ottoman for a few years, and then I added upholstery fabric over top of that when the table cloth began to wear. (this was all before I began sharing my DIYs on Instagram and Facebook.) Then the ottoman was stored in the barn for a few years, as a table, a chest, and bench took over the spot in front of the couch.
Well, because I like change, and I like changing things on a budget, the ottoman was brought back into the living room. I love the look of skirted ottomans, but I can barely sew on a button. I have collected many chenille blankets over the years, and any pretty linen sheets and bedding usually end up in my cart at the thrift store. If something I dream up requires sewing, I have many talented friends who help me out. This particular project required a staple gun and glue gun. Because the ottoman part was already done, it didn’t take long to recover it. I am very fortunate to have a hubby who has an air stapler, that made the stapling much easier.
We did this in the barn, as that’s where the air compressor was. Of course Coconut thought this was a big adventure. We started by laying the chenille over the entire ottoman, and stapling it to the underside of the table. We didn’t take the upholstery fabric off, since it didn’t show through the chenille. (saved us taking all those previous staples out)
After it was secured, I cut the excess chenille off.
Next was creating a skirt. I had picked up a bed skirt at a thrift store because I couldn’t resist the pretty pattern. It didn’t fit any of our beds, but that fabric?? Man it was pretty! I knew I would figure out a way to incorporate it somewhere! I cut the skirt part from the bed skirt, and was left with a piece of material to use as the skirt on my ottoman. I folded over the top of the material a couple of times and ironed it, to shorten it. It would have been too long if I had left it. That was the hardest part of the project, because I hate ironing, haha.
To create pleats, we stapled the end of the material to the ottoman. Remember, this used to be a table, so we had a hard surface to staple into. Then I folded the material, creating a pleat, as Gerald stapled it in place. We did this all around the entire ottoman.
I hot glued a piece of crochet trim around the perimeter, covering up the staples.
The finished ottoman was taken outside, and I sprayed it with a protectant spray. We have cats and grandkids, and nothing in our house is too precious for them to play around or touch. But this is white, and I could see myself spilling my tea on it!
I am so happy with this diy! Because we had the foam in place, and the table cut down, it went really quick! So keep your eye out at thrift stores for small tables, blankets, and linens and give this a try! It’s an inexpensive change that makes our living room cozy for the upcoming season!
Until next time!